Classic Monsters Unleashed
We’re looking for dark, scary stories featuring a classic monster or monsters (think famous creatures from pre-1960 horror movies). While we prefer new angles that subvert or re-imagine the monster, we are also interested in really good traditional monster stories. Stories can also star secondary characters, such as a well-known sidekick, assistant or love interest, from the classic monster universe.
We are NOT looking for general monster types, such as a Cyclops, Bigfoot, Dragon or Zombie. We are NOT necessarily looking for mythological monsters or old monsters. We are NOT looking for obscure characters. Check out the list below for possible characters.
Payment: 8 cents a word
Length: 1000 to 5000 words
Submission Period: April 8 to May 30, 2021
Expected Release Date: July 2022
Kickstarter Launch: March 8, 2021
No reprints, multiple subs or simultaneous subs
Note: A Kickstarter campaign to fund the anthology launched in March, after which we opened to submissions. This is an invitation and open-submissions anthology (with about 75% invited and 25% open). With the top-notch lineup of writers we’ve already signed, send only your very best.
Use classic Shunn formatting. Send as an attachment in doc or docx. In the subject line, put "Classic Monsters," the name of your story, and author name. Example: Classic Monsters – Story Title – Author Name.
Email story submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to publish your first story. We’re holding at least one spot for a newcomer. If you’ve never been published before, say so in your email. Good luck!
Bride of Frankenstein
Abraham Van Helsing
The Invisible Man
Phantom of the Opera
Quasimodo / Hunchback of Notre Dame
Wicked Witch of the West
Kaiju / Giant Monster (in the vein of King Kong or Godzilla)
Note: We have enough Dracula stories, so he’s not included on the list. If you have any ideas for other classic monsters not listed, please ask before submitting. Also bear in mind: though these are public domain characters, don’t use any copyrighted or trademarked elements from the movies.
We will take more than one story per character and you can feature more than one monster in your story. Mummy, werewolf and gill man stories are okay to submit, as well as any Universal Classic Monster, but they must be “based on” or “inspired by” if the characters are not public domain.
Full list of invited contributors:
- Joe R. Lansdale (Jack the Ripper)
- F. Paul Wilson (Frankenstein)
- Jonathan Maberry (Dr. Moreau)
- Ramsey Campbell (Count Magnus)
- Richard Christian Matheson (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)
- Lisa Morton (Headless Horseman)
- Tim Waggoner (a character inspired by The Wolfman)
- Owl Goingback (Dracula)
- Linda D. Addison (a character inspired by The Blob)
- Seanan McGuire (Mad Scientists)
- Maurice Broaddus (Invisible Man)
- Dacre Stoker & Leverett Butts (Dracula)
- Alessandro Manzetti (Mina Harker & a Classic Monsters poem)
- John Palisano (a character based on Creature From the Black Lagoon)
- Rena Mason (a character based on The Mummy)
- Mercedes Murdock Yardley (Dorian Gray)
- Monique Snyman (a character based on The Fly)
- Lucy A. Snyder (Phantom of the Opera)
- Gary A. Braunbeck (a story inspired by Cat People)